Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Tool Input

AQILKURJI
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

Is there a way that the input to a interface tool (drop down) can populate field values instead of field name. For eg if i have field name Gender with Field values "M" and "F" ... i want the drop down to show me the field values.

4 REPLIES 4
danrh
13 - Pulsar

No, but you can cheat and get the same result.  Put a Cross Tab before your Drop Down tool and select the column you want to pull into the list as the "New Column Headers" so the field values ARE your field headers.  See attached for an example.

AQILKURJI
6 - Meteoroid

Can you attach the yxmd file ?

@danrh wrote:

No, but you can cheat and get the same result.  Put a Cross Tab before your Drop Down tool and select the column you want to pull into the list as the "New Column Headers" so the field values ARE your field headers.  See attached for an example.

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Because there's an interface tool (Drop Down), it auto-converts the workflow to an analytic app (.yxwx).  You should be able to right-click the file and select "Edit" to get it to open in Alteryx. 

Here's a screenshot of the Cross Tab's configuration, if that helps:

image.png

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Just adding here, that this will work in this instance as the genders are not going to change (most likely), however what is actually being shown in the Dropdown is Metadata that was saved in the workflow when the app was created. If the input tool was updated to include an extra gender, that would not show up in the list. Standard Alteryx Tools are not run before the Interface Tools to configure the Interface.

Labels