community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Interface Select Tool to Specify Columns

Meteor

Hello,

I'm trying to create a selection on an interface within an app where a user can select specific columns to be included within the report.  I'm including two join icons since I want a user to only be able to select certain columns, the others are considered mandatory.  I manually inputted all of the column names within the list icon.  Is this the right way to do it? It's not updating within the output from the interface.  I'm sure it's something minor.

Alteryx.png

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ResearchRE

pic1.jpg

You can use this option to update the select tool dynamically from the workflow.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Highlighted
Meteor

Would I be able to use a join tool after the select tool and only see those specific columns that were selected?  This also needs to be created as an app.  When I had the question for which columns to select I could see the options on the interface, but it wouldn't update to the exported results.  I wouldn't see it.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is this the best way to be able to have an app user select specific columns?

Thanks!

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @ResearchRE

Yes the select tool before hand would just pass the fields which are selected through to the join. 

Can you please clarify what this app aims to do? Do you want the user to choose the fields to join on? Or just edit the fields which pass through to the output?

The attached app shows how to update a select and just show the fields which are selected in the output.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Meteor

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my comments.  The problem was something as simple as checking a box on the interface tool for selecting which output tool would export all of the data.  It's working great now.

If you have the answer to this, that would be great!  This is the first app I've created and it's processed by using two different workflows.  The first workflow will extract the field names from the columns, save them on the hard drive, and then use those fields to populate the list.  I need to do this because if there are new fields within the column that would not be a choice since it would not be captured if entered into the list as a manual entry.  Is this something that is okay to do if you do not have an Alteryx Server?  I keep getting an error saying that it's timing out after 30 seconds.  Have you seen that before?  If you're running an app and it's saving the spreadsheet, where would it be saved without a server?

Thanks so much!

Labels