Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Question

DataAnalyst
7 - Meteor

I am having a tough time tyring to create a user interface. Below is a sample. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

User Interface
StateDrop Down with all states from the output file
Value1Drop Down with all Value1 items from the output file
Value2Drop Down with all Value2 items from the output file

Input:

statevalue1value2value3 value4
ALAL1231.2nullnull
AZAZ2342.2null2
ARAR1233.413
PAPA5674.5nullnull 
TXTX2347.8nullnull

Report Output: (this part is done)

Statevalue1value 2
ALAL1231.2
AZAZ2342.2
ARAR1233.4
PAPA5674.5
TXTX2347.8

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @DataAnalyst

I would strongly recommend looking at this article  which explains the chained app process. This will make your dropdown list dynamic if you get more fields in the future. This article also provides more color on chained apps. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

DataAnalyst
7 - Meteor
Sent from my iPhone
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

When using chained apps, do all the apps in the chain use the same temporary folders or does each app create its own temporary folder?

For example, if I want to query a database to get a list of values for a list box, I could either:

1. Write the file to a pre-determined destination (but I'd have to clean it up later)
  2. Write the file using %Engine.TempFilePath% (so that Alteryx cleans it up)

But option 2 only works if the apps further down the chain 'know' the TempFilePath value of the initial app.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For one of my apps, I have to create (potentially) a different tree for every user that will run the app.

I have App 1 that creates the custom tree according to their user id.  I have chained App 2 use that just-created custom tree.

The output of App 1 is the custom tree file (tree.yxdb).  The file for the tree used in App 2 is that same output (tree.yxdb).

In order to have it use the same temp space (to accomplish the above), I made the output a specific location (like your desktop on your c-drive or wherever).  When you send App 2 up to the Gallery, send the tree.yxdb as an asset.  That accomplishes App 1 creating tree.yxdb and then App 2 using that same one.

I ** think ** you could accomplish the same thing by using "...\tree.yxdb", but since I got it to work perfectly using the approach above, I did not try.  I use the first App to tell about the app, and end the comments with "click next to continue".  To the user, they don't even know they're getting a restricted list so it works great.

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Hi @mbarone

I understand what you're saying -- I could point to a specific path, or even a relative path for the tree.yxdb file.

I was hoping to use the %Engine.TempFilePath% so that my custom file (tree.yxdb) is deleted once the process is run. But I know when running regular workflows, this path changes each time I press "GO".

I am still curious to know if the chained app spawns a new TempFilePath or if each app in the chain is treated as if it is part of the first app...

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I was hoping to use the %Engine.TempFilePath% so that my custom file (tree.yxdb) is deleted once the process is run. But I know when running regular workflows, this path changes each time I press "GO".

I am still curious to know if the chained app spawns a new TempFilePath or if each app in the chain is treated as if it is part of the first app...

Oh I see.  I think you're right - it wouldn't work becuase it chagnes each time.

And if I understood correctly when I was looking into this, yes, both apps if they're chained will use the same temp path, as they are treated as part of the first.

DataAnalyst
7 - Meteor

Thank you Jordan! Another quick question. My UI is all set up and ready for user access. When I enter text in my "comments" text box, and run a full cycle, I do not see the entry in the saved output. I would like for the user to save all their entries. How do i accomplish that? 

Labels