Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Designer - Is there a way to create newlines in a label?

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

I've added a tab called "help" ... I would like to type some paragraphs explaining what to do but would like to force new lines and blank lines to make it more readable. I know I can keep adding new labels, but that seems a bit tedious to do/maintain.

I got this to work using a lot of spaces, but I am hoping there is a newline character that can be used instead.

2019-01-09 19_13_50 Alteryx Interface Designer Multiline Label.png

2 REPLIES 2
ivoller
12 - Quasar

Hi @jason_scarlett

One way is to edit the XML in the main workflow. Something like :-

1. Add a label with dummy text (e.g. TEXT-HERE
  2. Edit the workflow.yxmc or .yxwz in your favourite text editor (I use Notepad++)
  3. Find dummy text. It will be between <Description></Description> tags e.g. <Description>TEXT-HERE</Description>
  4. Replace text with new text including returns so that the text now reads something like

<Description>This is my new text

including carriage returns
    </Description>
  5. Save the .YXMC or .YXWZ

Test on a copy of the workflow in case of errors.

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

This works to make the output look fine when running from Designer. Once publish to a Gallery, the formatting is all removed. i.e. all spaces, returns are gone and the text is just one long line.

I tried using html tags, but these did not work either.

Guess I will just go with adding a bunch of "labels".

Labels