Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface App with 8 column filters, input is alteryx db

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community! 

I'm absolutely stumped.

I'll be starting with an alteryx db with 5.3M rows (idk how to export that, so my attached workflow has a text box of sample data).

I'd like the end user to be able to type into an interface text box to filter.  They'll have the choice of filtering on 1 or 8 columns.  The output is an on screen render.

Currently, I can only get the hardcoded filtered code to output (yellow row below); the interface (green row below) isn't affecting the results.

I'm open to any way of doing this; it doesn't have to resemble my starting point.

Gina2021_0-1619805512387.png

Gina2021_1-1619805581997.png

Thanks so much for your expertise!

Gina

8 REPLIES 8
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Gina2021 I would just connect your interface tools directly to the filter. For apps, there are 2 ways to run them

1) Using the normal run button, it will use the "test" values I've entered on the workflow tab. Note that action tools don't execute when the normal run button is pushed. Connecting the textbox tool directly to the filter gets around that shortcoming of action tools.

patrick_digan_0-1619806133369.png

2) Using the wand (Run as analytic app). This will put the user entered info into the filter and ignore the test values. By directly connecting the text box tools to the filter, it's easier (compared to action tools) to use method 1 to verify that everything works and then use method 2 with some confidence that everything should work as expected.

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Gina2021,

I think the issue is coming from your action tools. In the screenshot below, you selected "Replace a specific string:" but the string you are replacing does not currently exist in your filter tool.

phottovy_0-1619806301306.png

If you unselect that option, I think you will start getting the results you are looking for.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

EDIT: I see @phottovy posted before me on this point...

@Gina2021 and for what it's worth, your action tools may not have been working as expected because the action tool was setup to replace a specific string (notice the RADEOR at the bottom doesn't match the RKNZZY currently in the filter). When it can't find that string in the filter tool, it doesn't work. I only like to use action tools if you have to. In this case, it seems easier to just connect the text box tool right to the filter. The action tool is only adding more headaches!

patrick_digan_0-1619806496243.png

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I definitely agree with @patrick_digan that the direct connection (no action tool) is the better solution overall. When I first started building apps, I found using 

action tools more intuitive at first though, so feel free to continue to use them. As you get more comfortable with creating apps, then you can eventually get rid of the action tools and streamline your workflow. I know for me, it took quite a while to figure out how to build an app but now I build them quite frequently.

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

. .

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@phottovy YAYYYYYY!!!!!! Thank you TOOOOONNNNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan thank you TOOOONNNNSSSS!!!! I'd never seen an app without an action tool. This is soooo cooolllll!!!! I love it!  I'm going with this for my final solution. Thanks so much for attaching, as I definitely needed help seeing how the #1 was used in the config. 

@patrick_digan & @phottovy thank you both so much! You both solved my issue and taught me different things.  It was especially helpful to see you both agree on the final solution of not using an action tool.  What wonderful teachers. I'd been stuck around this for 3 days. I soooo much appreciate you ending my week with a BIG success! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@Gina2021  Happy to help!

Labels