community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Interactive Chart tool and Ignoring Null Values

Meteor

Bottom Line: Interactive charts no longer ignore null values, instead displaying them as 0 values on the Y-axis.

We upgraded to 2019.1 yesterday. Previously I had designed charts in the Interactive Chart tool that rendered like this. (Charting would skip over days with null values.)Former_Chart.PNG

Now the charts have become drippy, with no other changes except for the version upgrade yesterday.

Current_Chart.PNG

Maddeningly, the interactive chart design view shows the non-drippy version. Only when rendered out to a browse tool or report does the drippiness appear.

I have tried rebuilding the charts to replace old versions with no effect.

Attached is a simple workflow that shows the problem with the output. Nulls are assumed to be zero values rather than as true nulls. Need a solution as soon as possible to repair these live production reports. 

Nebula
Nebula

hi @meekben 

As a quick fix you could impute the null values as averages of the surrounding ones.  This only works for intermediate dips and not the final one.  It also implies that your data is complete.  I don't know if the fact that there is missing data is important or not to you.

out.png

Dan

Meteor

Imputing values or filling in with a multi-row tool is good if partial solution. I actually want to know when data is missing so I can contact the provider of that data, but for charting purposes filling those gaps works fine. I would still like to see a full solution so that null values do not go through imputation by the output tools.

Nebula
Nebula

Hi @meekben.

This is probably a support issue.  You can open one here

Hope the Alteryx people resolve it for you.

Dan 

Meteor

Does anyone know if this is fixed in 2019.3?  Imputing the null values, as is the suggested solution in this thread, will not be acceptable for my application.

Thanks,

Collin

Alteryx
Alteryx

In 2019.2 and 2019.3 the nulls are not displayed. The chart in the example looks like this:

JeffF_0-1571945734111.png

Labels