Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interactive Chart Tool - Tree Map?

sartol
7 - Meteor

Hello!

Can you make a tree map with the interactive chart tool?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @sartol 

It is possible but you have to get creative with the values that you're plotting.  In the attached example,  I've defined every segment in the tree as it's own line and then use a transform to group by line.

danilang_0-1625662366508.png

I did run across the transform/colouring defect when trying to get the lines the same colour

Dan  

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Interesting - I would call that type of chart a dendrogram, whereas I would consider a treemap a tiled area chart like this: 

kelly_gilbert_0-1626192444368.png

(I'm based in the southeastern US, so maybe it is a regional thing!)

No matter which chart type @sartol was looking for, neither is available out of the box in the Interactive Chart tool. If I needed to implement the tiled area version of a treemap, I would probably use the Python tool to generate the chart and output it to a file, then bring it back into the workflow with an Image tool.

Charles
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

You can create beautiful tree map chart using a data visualization tool.

I would suggest you ChartExpo, It is both an Excel and Google Sheets plugin.

You can create 50+ types of charts with just few clicks. No coding skills required

Installation Source:

ChartExpo for Excel
ChartExpo for Google Sheets

Regards!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

You young'uns.  Treemap doesn't look much like a tree.  

I don't do a lot of visualization work and while I've seen tree maps before I didn't know what they were called.   It took a fair amount of digging to find out why this is called a Treemap.  It turns out that it is a "Red-Black tree based implementation of the SortedMap interface"  (JavaDocs)

Dan

Labels