Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interactive Chart Incorrectly Drawing Data and Cleanse also not working

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Good Afternoon All,

Simple data here, (real data, changed to protect the innocent). Do note that i have the same data for multiple other "areas" and it all works fine, just this single one!

As you can see:

1) Cleanse does not put in a 0 when there is a null

2) The graph does not draw the bars in the correct order depending on the value

I thought this was a string problem, but its clear that the data is numerical.

Sometimes, like when i shout loudly at it and rerun it, it flicks back to normal before going back to normal as you see in the attached

Help please!

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Bobbins, are you able to attach the data or upload your workflow as a package? Thanks!

DataNath_0-1667228794498.png

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath Apologies, uploaded wrong one 

It would seem that the nulls are making Altreyx think its a string field when its clearly marked as not!

As noted in original post, i have 10 other strands all with nulls, none have a problem, apart from this one, which is using the same data as the other 10!

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Bobbins I've just had a quick look over this. The first thing to note is that your Car Parks aren't unique and therefore in the example of Car Park 1, when we apply a sort, because one of the records has a 0 value, this determines its position. However, within the bar chart, the sum of Car Park 1 (i.e. 0 from this record and 12.54 from its other) is placed in that position.

DataNath_2-1667230669146.png

DataNath_0-1667230435892.png

If we place the RecordID on the Y axis (after making it a string to give a discrete axis, rather than continuous numeric), because these are unique we see the data distributed as expected:

DataNath_1-1667230487018.png

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath Ah, that would be anonymizing it.

If we do it so that every car park is unique, the same problem occurs until you apply some math's to it.

Attached is the same data, just the car park changed.....

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Bobbins what outcome are you expecting, sorry? I thought you wanted the bars to be sorted by the order of the value corresponding to them. Rather than a data cleanse I've just assigned 0s to nulls and then sorted on this field rather than the [Area] field which gives the following:

DataNath_0-1667232245952.png

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

HI @DataNath 

What I dont understand is, I should be able to create the graph without needing to change to zeros. All the other strands sharing the same data I do not have to change to zeros. Just seems odd thats all!

DataNath
17 - Castor

Ah my apologies @Bobbins! It's odd but I'd imagine as the value is Null(), there's just no value assigned to it and Alteryx by default doesn't assume that should therefore be 0. When it comes to the sort, it places nulls below the negative numbers when doing so ascending and so to get the bars in the correct order I think it's necessary in this case.

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Thank you

Labels