Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Intelligence Suite 2021.3 - Image Template - Getting Invalid PDF error all the time

alucero
5 - Atom

Hi, I just upgraded from 2021.1 to 2021.3 (Designer and Intelligence Suite) and the Image Template control no longer recognizes PDF as an input.  I tried a number of different PDFs with different file names (long, short, no hash in file name, etc). and all I get is "Error: Invalid PDF
Your PDF file is invalid or corrupted. Select a valid PDF file."  The files I used for the template worked fine in 2021.1 but now fails in 2021.3.  Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alucero ,

without seeing your workflow or the data, it would be difficult.

If you can share some of these then we can see what's happening.

M.

Bulien

MichaelOlesen
6 - Meteoroid

I get the same error after upgrading as alucero. Worked like a charm in version 2021.1, but after upgrading the image template tool will not longer open PDF files, where picture files e.g. png, jpec etc. still works.

alucero
5 - Atom

Hi mceleavey, the graphic I attached is all there really is to show.  Three basic controls to read in PDFs and the Image Template control is where I am having an issue.

I should note... in 2021.1, I was "Running non-elevated" which allowed me to create workflows reading PDFs without issue.  When I upgraded to 2021.3.3.63061, I first installed the admin versions of Designer, R tools, and Intelligence Suite.  The installation completed successfully and I was able to open and run existing workflows in Alteryx.  That's when I noticed the Image Template control gave me the error every time I attempted to edit annotations.  My workflow would also fail to execute after that point.  I was able to open a .PNG image but that's not what I'm processing so while helpful for diagnosing, doesn't help me for my workflows.

I then realized maybe I should have installed the non-admin versions of the software so I removed the admin versions and re-installed the non-admin versions.  Still have the same issue.  I believe my 2021.1 was an admin install even though I was running as non-elevated.  These nuances are quite confusing to be honest and Alteryx should really streamline the installation to one set of files.

jamestomer
5 - Atom

I am getting the same error after upgrading to 2021.3 (Designer and Intelligence Suite) .  Previously had no issues with 2021.1 now none of my pdf image templates are working.  Has anyone found a fix?

praveendua
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

i have Version: 2021.3.3.63061 and I see the same error with a workflow + PDF file that worked for a colleague who has version Version: 2021.3.2.54175

hope this helps narrow down the issue.

amruta
7 - Meteor

It's known defect to Alteryx.

We got exact same error after upgrade to 2022.1.

We opened a case with Support. Their response

"If you copy the pdf file to absolute path such as something like this “C:\Users\username\PDFlocation\test.pdf” are you able to pull up the PDF file without getting the error? 
Here are the steps I found to reproduce that error when using an UNC path. 

1. Share a folder on a machine.
    2. Add a PDF file to that folder.
    3. Try to access the PDF file from the drive using the UNC path in Image Template tool.

Eg: \\machine\share\00518328

It looks other tools such as the Image Input tool are able to use UNC path, but for this defect our dev team is currently working on resolving the issue for the Image Template tool to be able to open pdfs from relative and UNC paths. "

Labels