Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Installation on M1 Mac

vvk
5 - Atom

Hello,

Has anyone installed Alteryx Designer on M1 Mac ?

17 REPLIES 17
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I haven't, but interested to see anyone has.

Parallels usually has a bit of overhead, but spec-wise it looks like the hardware should be able to make decent compensation for that.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@vvk Alteryx is not natively supported on Mac as of today. If you want to use Alteryx on Mac you'll have to use via a Windows VM. 

This post from my buddy @DataPrepChad  can help https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Install-Alteryx-for-Mac/ta-p/87568 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
DataPrepChad
10 - Fireball

I would add that whether you use Parallels or Bootcamp depends on how much data you're running through.  Parallels is a VM, so you are essentially running two OS's at the same time, while also trying to run your Alteryx workflow.  This means you have fewer system resources to dedicate to your workflow (bad).  The upside is you can have everything running at the same time.

Running Bootcamp boots your Mac directly into Windows, so only 1 OS running and more resources for your workflow (good).  The downside is if you have Mac specific apps, you'll need to reboot in order to leverage those apps.

Now, how do you figure out which one to use?  If you have a lot of data to process (hundreds of thousands of rows), I'd recommend Bootcamp.  If you are chunking through a bunch of Excel tasks in your Alteryx workflow, but each one is only a few hundred or thousand rows?  Parallels gives you more flexibility.

PhilBalderson
8 - Asteroid

Parallels have released a beta for the M1. Has anyone installed it and tried Alteryx? 

PhilBalderson
8 - Asteroid

I *think* native booting won't be an option on the M1, as it doesn't share intel architecture. 

PhilBalderson
8 - Asteroid

New MacBook Pro proved irresistible. I can confirm that I've installed Parallels + Win11, and running Alteryx at 100% faster than my Surface Pro i9. Awesome. Full benchmark test to follow! 

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

You ran Alteryx on a Surface?  That's brave.

jtomkoskijr
5 - Atom

What were the CPU and Memory settings you used for your Parallels Win11 machine? I am also running on a M1 and would be interested to see how you configured yours to run Alteryx with minimal performance issues

Dkk
5 - Atom

I seem to have gone through with installing Parallels + windows 11 on my M1. 

I downloaded Alteryx but it's not running. I need help with that? Anyone experienced or experiencing same issue? HELP NEEDED.  

Labels