Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Install Macro Error

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi @fharper! Thanks for getting back to me.  I don't have any .ini files in my macros folder.  Just .bak and .yxmc...

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

you seem to be talking about the macro folder and I am talking about the C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros folder.  it is in the pics of my prior post where i reference the configuration.  Alteryx uses ini files in the above folder to tell it where to find macros not packaged with the product, like CReW and your custom library(s).  look there and see what if any ini files exist, open them and share with us the ini file name and the path you find within the file, then lastly share with us the full path to the folder where you want alteryx to find your macros.  likely result is that one of these existing paths is a parent or child of the new path you are trying to add.

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

was hoping to hear something back by now...did you find the ini files and see what was conflicting?

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hi @fharper!

Thank you for your help.  Turns out, all we had to do was delete the macro path(s) we had in the User Settings locally, and structure our regular macros and CReW macros to be under this path locally and on server: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\.  Apparently this is a path that Alteryx looks at by default so any folders that contain macros will appear in your ribbon and server will look for unpackaged macros there.

For example, on both local machine and server:

Regular macros: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\PS

CReW: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools\CReW

- Zazil

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

Correct...

Funny...I covered this in our last Tampa UG meeting Feb 19 and in retrospect I should have provided a more complete perspective.  I failed to share this with you because I was being brief and specific to your one issue of resolving a conflict...but you got it resolved so good luck going forward!

If of interest here is a snippet from the UG slide

Capture3.PNG

• The first bullet is the primary or default location for Alteryx to find a macro.  Server always has this folder but not all designer only's have it, seems to vary on version or install method.
  • The second bullet is where the ini files are, not where the macros are.  These are pointer files with paths to where macros are found.  typically you have a CReW macro library which can be installed anywhere but most install on local hard drive but often in a c:\Users\Public\Alteryx\*** folder so if the machine is shared all can share the macros.
  • Likewise any path you define in user settings generates an ini file in the above location so Alteryx can find the path to those macros.  This is commonly used for shared macros, things that a group or team or organization might keep as shared assets.  It all depends on how much infrastructure you have, how many users and how sophisticated and or managed these things need to be.  many people never use this User Setting but it is very useful for organizations to manage their code as reusable assets that should be shared and protected.  They put these macros in a shared network location so all users that need it can get it and they can control the location with internal security so the macros are not modified or deleted accidentally without a measure of change control.
Labels