Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inserting data into cloudera table from excel or other data source

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

Hi all:

To perform the mentioned task, I've tried to use Data Stream In and Write Data In-DB tools but the problem here is - I've privilege to create table into one specific schema. May be that's the reason why I've encountered error while creating temporary table using Data Stream In. I'd like to know is it possible to insert data directly using Write Data In-DB or using any other tool. 

tanvir_khan_0-1611894974176.png

Please help me with your expert advice.

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
jvansistine
9 - Comet

Hi @tanvir_khan,

You can set the Data Stream In tool to create a new table (or overwrite an existing) instead of creating a temporary table.

You may also have to specify the schema name on the table you're trying to create.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/data-stream-tool

Hope that helps!

- Jim

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jvansistine:,

Thanks for your help. Actually I need to create a table and then insert or append data into it. Can it be done using this tool?

Overwrite will drop table every time it triggers, so it's not going to work.

I'm not sure about create table option. Will it crate table every time or create once then add values form next time if the table is already there.

Can you please let me know?

Thanks!

jvansistine
9 - Comet

You are correct that overwrite will drop the table and build it again with each run.

But, you can set the tool to create and run the workflow to build the table initially, then change the settings to append for the future runs when you want to insert new data.

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

@jvansistine thanks for the idea mate!

I've tried Output Data tool instead and now data insertion is working. But the only problem I'm facing -data insertion is too slow. Is there anyway to improve this? I mean set any parameter etc.

Thanks!

jvansistine
9 - Comet

I haven't had to write to Cloudera in a while, but maybe these other community articles can provide some guidance?

Uploading with HDFS

Writing to Hive

Good luck!

tanvir_khan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jvansistine:

Thanks a lot for your help.

I've figured it out, there were two drivers installed in the laptop Hive & Tempala. I've changed Hive to Tempala and the problem disappeared.

Thanks!

Labels