community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Insert or add character into string at intervals

Meteor

Situation: Strings that are 4 characters long are getting concatenated into one sting in a single column due to insufficient controls during data input. For example: 'ABCDwxyz' should instead be split into 'ABCD' and 'wxyz' 

Sometimes 2 strings are concatenated, sometimes more. For example, 4 strings concatenated might look like this: 'ABCDwxyzLMNOefgh'

Using the following function (followed by a Text to Column tool, using a space as the delimiter) allows me to correct for this, but seems really crude:

IF 
[Site Len] = 8
THEN Substring([No 5th char],0, 4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],4,4)

ELSEIF 
[Site Len] = 12
THEN Substring([No 5th char],0, 4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],4,4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],8,4)

ELSEIF 
[Site Len] = 16
THEN Substring([No 5th char],0, 4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],4,4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],8,4) + " " + Substring([No 5th char],12,4)

ELSE 'Error'

ENDIF

I imagine there's a more elegant solution out there. Any ideas? 

Here's a depiction of the input and desired output: 

InputOutput1Output2Output3Output4
ABCDABCD   
ABCDwxyzABCDwxyz  
ABCDwxyzLMNOefghABCDwxyzLMNOefgh
Alteryx Partner

Hi @Bobe,

Could you provide an example of the input data and desired output?  That would go a long way in helping the community help you with optimizing this workflow.

jm

Meteor

@john_miller9 Certainly. I've added a mock up to the bottom of the original post. Hopefully that helps illustrate the concept. 

Alteryx
Alteryx

If it's 4 characters each time then Regex Tokenize with the Expression '(.{4})' will get you what you want.

Asteroid

Try this: (In reg exp, you can also write .{4})

String.JPG

Labels