Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Insert new row every nth row.

Charlie_J
5 - Atom

I have 2 columns of data. first column is a string and the second is numbers. i can sometimes have upwards of 3000 rows. However, my final output will be excel files and i can only have 900 lines per file. So every i need to insert a new row at every 900th row and find the total of all the numbers that came before it. Also, the total number of rows i will have will never be an exact multiple of 900. So I'm wondering if there is a way to insert a new row every 900 and dynamically insert a row at the very end of my data?

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is one approach

BrandonB_0-1668658469068.png

I used a mod function to determine the remainder on the largest number of the group. In my case I set it to 6, but in your case would be 900 or 899 depending on whether you count the total.  Then I used a multi-row tool to create an actual group number because when mod([RecordID], 6) = 0 that means that it is divisible by 6 with no remainder and therefore the last number in the group so the multi row increments to the next group number. Then I feed it into a batch macro that sum totals the values in the group being fed in. Workflow is attached. My other thought was to avoid a macro and use a running total grouping by a given group but then you end up doing some manipulation on getting it under the last row of each group so I figured this was the most straightforward.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Charlie_J 
Just a sample. Maybe there is a better way. 😁

1117-Charlie_J.png

DQAUDIT
9 - Comet

@Charlie- If the objective is to simply output 900 records per Excel file, you may consider an alternate approach.  The Output Data Tool has options that allows you take file/table name from a field within your dataset.  Check this box and use the Change Entire File Path selecting a field that has your generated path for the Excel files.

To Generate the Directory Path per row you will need to do the following steps:

1. Add a Record ID Tool to your workflow
  2. Add a Formula Tool to your workflow to generate a string field called Grouping (Expression: CEIL([RECORDID]/900))
  3. Add a second field to the Formula tool that generates the directory path (Expression: "C:\Folder\"+[GROUPING]+".xlsx///Data")
  4. [Optional] Add a Select Tool to remove the GROUPING Column if you only want two columns in your output data set.

Goodluck!

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

sure if this is any better.  Seems to work...

Labels