community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More
We will be upgrading the Gallery to our 2019.4 release this Saturday, December 7th beginning at 9:00am MT. We expect the outage to take last approx. 2.5 hours.

Insert data from output into existing excel template

Hello,

I have built a workflow where I have joined and transformed some data from Source 1 and Source 2. I have gotten the output information I need from this. Source 3 is a highly customized excel file. My next step is to literally just drop the information in my output from Source 1 and 2 into certain rows/columns in the Source 3 file. It's not necessarily a join as there is nothing in Source 3. I just want to take the data from one place and put it into specific rows/columns of another excel file.

Is there a tool that can do this?

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

How complex an output is your template? Is it essentially defining the correct position for the fields? Or is there additional work here?

Ben

It's just defining the position of the fields. For example, I would want the data in column 1 of the output file to be entered into the excel template starting at B:2. Then column 2 from the output file needs to be entered into the excel template starting at D:2. So it isn't a continuous range (A:2 through D:2) that I need the data dumped into. I would need to specify which column from the output file I want to go into which column in the excel template.

Highlighted

Was there a resolution to this request? I have a similar issue. I have multiple data sources that I have joined and filtered to provide the required info but I need to move multiple columns from the join file into specific columns within an existing template. 

Atom

I am going through an very similar scenario here and I could only think of one solution that comes straight to my mind which is using Dynamic Rename where you input the names of the columns using your template file. 
Technically you will not be filling up your template but rather copying it`s structure into your Alteryx output. 

However, you will have to adjust the column names in your template to match those of your Alteryx output which can be done easily by using a select tool.

There might be a more convenient solution but this one is what I thought of straight away. 

Hope this helps.  

Labels