Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Insert Blank Row if Condition is Met & Re-Order Tile Sequence Number

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I want to insert a blank row if a condition is met.

Each Tile represents a group rows associated with a record (after a subsequent transpose).  Each Tile should have 7 rows associated with it  -- as exemplified by Tile #28.  Tiles #22, 24, and 26 only have 6 rows (i.e. they are missing a row). 

Looking at Tile #28...   Sequence #3 should always be "USAF."  Sequence #5 should always include "-16" (F-16, YF-16, KF-16, etc.).   Sequence #4 in Tile #28 is "USAF 310 TFTS" (this list he value for Squadron).    Sequence #4 does not exist in Tiles #22, 24, or 28.  If it does not exist, I need to insert a row after Sequence #3 to account for the missing Squadron value. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 3.04.24 PM.png

5 REPLIES 5
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Updated workflow with desired end-state (using Tile #28 as example).

I was able to use a Generate Rows tool to add a 7th row for those tiles that only had 6.   But, they are added as the 7th row.  I need them to become the NEW #4 and re-sequence the old 4-6 to 5-7.   Position is important in a later Dynamic Rename step.  See Desired Outcome in the attached (updated) workflow.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.06.17 PM.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @hellyars 

See attached workflow for possible solution. Adding a missing row is simple in theory, but requires use of the multirow formula tool and several joins. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1614806488513.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Maskell_Rascal  I like your approach.  The solution I managed is less elegant.  

I used a Generate Rows tool to add a  row for any Tile that did not contain 7 rows.

This created the requisite number of rows, but the sequence was out of order.

To solve the sequence issue, I assigned the new rows a value of 4 and used a Summary tool + a Formula tool to re-order the Tile_SequenceNum for those Tile rows that started with 6 instead of 7 rows.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.27.50 PM.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Maskell_Rascal  There is one potential challenge when I try to apply this approach to the wider dataset.  The End-User value might not always be USAF.  It could be Belgium, IDF, etc.  How might I modify that initial MultiRow Tool?

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hey @hellyars 

Here is a solution that isn't dependent on a field having a specific value. It instead uses the Sample tool to split the data. I can then renumber everything and join it back together. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1614809685367.png

Btw - if you're going to crosstab your data at the end, you actually don't need to have row 4 present for all records. You just need to have all the records numbered correctly and at least one record has to contain row 4. 

Kinda like the below where I got rid of the row generator and Join/Union tools, but I still get the same outcome. 

Maskell_Rascal_1-1614809951217.png

Let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks!

Phil

Labels