Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inputting multiple files with wildcard- is the size of the Vstring a problem?

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

I have a wildcard input set up to import a specific sheet from 10 .xlsm files with what I thought were identical schema, but I am getting the error message that they have different schema than the 1st file and will be skipped.

When I set up 10 inputs + browse tools, the only difference I can see in the Field types is that one particular Field comes in with a different size VString for each file - 276, or 274, or 278.  I think this is to do with it being a very long string in the cell in question.

Is this likely to be a problem that is causing the error?  And if so, is there anything I can do about this?  

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @chickenlicken 

As far as I know, field with longest size is selected when you run into this kind of situation, so this should not be a problem.

But...I think we'd need more details to go further in this question. Could you give us printscreens of the workflow, or at least provide 2 or 3 files of this set of files?

Cheers, 

mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi @chickenlicken,

I have a workflow to do this for multiple sheets with different schemas, I'm sure you could adjust it a bit to have multiple files. Essentially it's just loading in the files through an iterative macro rather than just the dynamic input tool.

Best,

mmenth

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think, the different sizes of the field are causing the problem. If the file you use as a template contains the largest field,
everything willl work fine, but if the field has more characters in another file, the sheet will be skipped. What about creating
a "template file" with maximum possible field size and use this as a template? This could solve your problem (hopefully).

chickenlicken
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much for your replies. 

I used an approach similar to what @mmenth suggested and used this batch macro which seems to get around the problem https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/CS-Macro-Dev-Reading-in-Multiple-Files-with-...

@RolandSchubert , I'm going to test what you suggest and see if it resolves it, but I am not sure I can anticipate which file will have the longest field in future - so batch macro seems good.  If this is the problem then it is definitely a weakness of the wild card input method.

Labels