Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inputting excel but is not being read as excel. Transform file type at source?

Jes
8 - Asteroid

I have a process that generates a daily file that is being recognized as a MS Excel 97-2003 worksheet file on my computer.

JH0123_2-1610729769869.png

I am able to open the excel file and interact with the data in the file without any issues outside of Alteryx.

When I use Input Data tool to input the excel file, I see the following error. 

JH0123_0-1610729433906.png

I have suspicions that the MS 97-2003 file is not actually an excel file given that when I try to save the excel file, I see the following message.

JH0123_1-1610729583268.png

If I save the excel file by changing the format to .xlsx for example, Alteryx has no issue reading the file. However, this adds a manual step to the process, which I am trying to avoid.

Any suggestions on how to read the source file as is, or if I can somehow transform the file using Alteryx to get to the underlying data?

9 REPLIES 9
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jes,

I searched for it in the community and it looks like this might be related to some kind of driver issues but I am not sure how to get the correct drivers:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-will-not-read-in-xls-files/m-p...

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos 

I've tried downloading 'Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable' drive but had 0 luck.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jes,

Do your colleagues have the same issue?

Maybe your process will save the data in a different format if that is possible.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Jes 

Can you post a sample of the excel file?  We may be able to help you get the underlying data.

Dan

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@danilang 

Unfortunately I won't be able to share the actual file because it contains sensitive data. I also can't remove & save the excel without compromising the integrity of the file as well.

I have suspicions that the table  within the excel file is causing the issue.

Here is a screen print of the file. No idea how this will be helpful though:

JH0123_0-1611088283852.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jes,

This looks similar to this document 🙂 

Emil_Kos_0-1611088423228.png

I am not sure if this could be helpful 😛

I have an alternative idea. Maybe you can use CMD + VBA in order to open the excel file and save it without using Alteryx.

Afterwards, you can open the file with Alteryx without any issues.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Using-Events-or-Run-Command-to-open-am...

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jes 

What system is the file being generated from?

Seth

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@smoskowitz 

I am triggering a SQL query in the SFTP environment, which outputs an excel file in the same SFTP environment.

I copy & paste the excel file over to my Sharepoint directory, after which I have the issue mentioned above.

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos 

Ahaha you got me there. As I was prepping the screen print, I felt quite silly.

I tried opening the file straight from SFTP and can confirm it is clearly a HTML table. Is there any way for Alteryx to read in such table contained in a .xls file?

JH0123_0-1612537737452.png

Labels