Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inputting data from Password Protected files

DustinBettler
6 - Meteoroid

Here is my question. I have a password protected xlsm file that I am able to "read in" using the Alteryx Input tool. I dont have to do any additional coding or anything. Im able to create a workflow using the data and out put the file to a new workbook. The problem is that I see in the Alteryx community that I maybe shouldnt be able to do this. If I shouldnt be able to do it, how is it happening? If I can and should be able to do it but only for certain types of files what are those conditions? Finally, when outputting the file, its my understanding that I should not be able to output to a password protected file without additional coding. Thanks for your help. 

2 REPLIES 2
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @DustinBettler 

The file was likely only password protected to prevent someone from modifying (bottom option), but not from opening (top option). As long as the top one is not set. That said, and per your second comment, I would have expected that a "Password to Modify" protected file would not have been able to be altered by an Alteryx Output tool, but from some testing I did, it seems like it's able to.

Possibly a bug or a security issue, but that I believe would be something that MSFT would need to address, not Alteryx.

jrgo_0-1618931741597.png

DustinBettler
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the information and the quick response.

Labels