Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input tool - number reads incorrectly

bm2
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have an excel file with the following example values:

CHAX009655

The input tool reads it as follows quite strangely - how can I make sure the numbers are read as they are?

2.000086124E9
2.000043449E9
CHAX009655

3 REPLIES 3
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @bm2,

I'd recommend going into your excel file and making sure the number format is number or text. Right now, it's probably as scientific notation, and that's how Alteryx will read it in. Hope this helps! 

bm2
5 - Atom

The format of the column is General which is the default format for excel columns. It does look like a bug to me.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Ok. If you haven't already, it's probably worth either increasing the size of the columns in excel or forcing those cells into a "number" format. Just to see if it makes a difference! When I use really large numbers in Excel, it defaults to scientific notation in "general". Alteryx will read in the data however they are currently visible in Excel.

Labels