Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input tool did not find the value of the column having formula in excel

SuneelIndukuru
5 - Atom

1. need to process sheet data using formulas 

Ex : Column E having Sum of 2 numbers A+B

2 once this sheet is processed , i need to give the same sheet as input to other work flow , i'm not able to see the calculated sum instead i'm getting null values in the column having formulae

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SuneelIndukuru,

If I understand you correctly you are getting null results because of the data type. Maybe you should change it to a string. 

Emil_Kos_0-1613999663749.png

If the goal is to have your formula in excel you need to change this data type to string. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @SuneelIndukuru 

Excel doesn't calculate formulas until you open the workbook or use some kind of external method to force the calculations such as a vb script.  See here for a discussion of how to call a vbs script from within Alteryx?.  Fair warning...this method involves learning the Run Command, one of the more complex tools in Alteryx and a knowledge of VB scripting.

Is the intermediate file with the formulas being used for any purpose other than to transfer the information from one workflow to the next?  If it isn't, you can reproduce the calculations in Alteryx and just combine the 2 workflows.  

Dan

SuneelIndukuru
5 - Atom

Hi Danilang,

Thanks for the quick reply, with vbscript it is taking time as we are having millions of records

But one thing i noticed is, if we write formula to excel using formula tool in alteryx , and then if we give the same file as input we are getting nulls, but if we open the same file and save the file and then if we give the same file as input  we are geting data , attached the workflow below 

on the fly can we calculate the data without using formulae? , we will dump value instead of formulae to excel 

SuneelIndukuru
5 - Atom

Hi Emil_kos

Thanks For the reply , i was creating new column , it didnt worked out for me 

Labels