Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input text file in Analytic App

hhowell
5 - Atom

Has anyone had success pointing a file browse to a text file in an analytic app? I currently have to do this in Designer and manually  "Resolve File Type" to read as csv. I would have thought configuring this once and saving the workflow would resolve the issue, but it does not...

4 REPLIES 4
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How about converting your input data tool to a dynamic input tool and connect a text input tool to it. You can then connect the action tool to the text input tool to modify the filename. 

With this, the dynamic input tool has a template file and should remember the settings

hhowell
5 - Atom

Thanks @DavidP ! That worked great. I have not utilized the dynamic input tool before, but its ability to remember the settings worked great.

For anyone else with a similar issue, attached is the beginning of my revised workflow. Instead of plugging the file browse directly into an input tool, I now have it pointed to a blank input text tool with the action tool updating the first cell.

Then that is connected to the dynamic input tool. Within its configuration, you will have to attach a template (I just a similar text file as an example) and resolve the file type issues once. Now the workflow remembers these settings and the app works as designed!

NZP
7 - Meteor

I was able to use this solution to get a desktop application to work but once uploaded to the server. I am getting a message that the text file is not a valid file type when placing the analytical application on the server.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Best to start a new post with details of the issue you're encountering, providing sample workflow and/or data if possible.

Labels