Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input multiple xlsx files and union them

jcyc
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have multiple .xlsx files (around 5,000). I wanted to input them all into Alteryx and union them together. 

The different files have variations in column headers so the wildcard option for the input tool is a no go. 

Obviously, I don't want to create 5,000 input tools and union them all together. 

Is there a faster way to accomplish this?

14 REPLIES 14
outwork
7 - Meteor

I always get the error no sheet specified. You must specify a sheet. I thought it would read all of them. Any help is highly appreciated!!!

diksha1107
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I applied the same method but there was success when one excel file contained one sheet only. But if we have many sheets in one excel file then this gave errors.

Can you please help in this?

Thanks in advance!

Aastha
7 - Meteor

I encountered the same error. For all these records(#4, #26, #27) in the Directory tool, I had 1 sheet hidden in each Excel file.

alteryx multiple files Macro error.PNG

Awesomeville
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I believe you are supposed to specify the Sheet that you wish for Alteryx to read if you have more than one sheets in excel as Alteryx is unable to tell which sheet you are trying to read in.

annamalaimoorthy
8 - Asteroid

@jcyc , @Claje , 

Are there any settings to be done in the Macro. 

I am looking to union multiple excel files with the help of a directory tool. 

Please find the settings I have applied below and advise regarding any changes that should be made. 

I have the excel sheets in one folder. And only 1 sheet per excel. 

Thanks a ton in advance

Annamalai

Labels