Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input multiple sheets from multiple '.xls' excel files

dataminerchris
7 - Meteor

Hello all

I have submitted my query to the history of posts before posting myself and found many very cool looking solutions, but did not solve my issue.

My situation :

I have 27 identically configured excel files with each having three same configured sheets I want to input "in one go". I also want to be able to trace sheet name.

They are "unfortunately" .xls formats. The file names are like 'PE - 1.xls'. When I try to apply 'dynamic input' I get awkward string error messages (unable to see sheets - see below). When I wish to  select multiple sheets in the 'input data' I cannot select multiple sheets, only one at a time.

Is there anything I am basically doing wrong ?

Is it linked to the "-" symbol in file name ?

Thank you for your tips.

Chris

11 REPLIES 11
dataminerchris
7 - Meteor

Hello afv2688

Again thank you for your patience and help on this matter.

I tried the modification in dynamic macro : it works but only with one of the 27 files. In the other macros I get lost : how should I link them all together to feed my workflow ? At the moment all workflows run in separate canvas windows.

I enclose my work flow and the amended macro routines you gave me. Could you look at where I am missing something  or making the mistake ?

(All the 27 excel files I want to process are in one same directory. They are named PE1 through PE27)

Thanks in advance

rgds

Christopher

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @dataminerchris ,

You have to set the workflow in the following order: yxmd-> dynamic_union_1 -> dynamic_union_2. So it is a workflow with a macro and a macro within a macro.

I did creat 4 xls files to try it out and it works perfectly, you just have to select the folder. Try to run it first as a workflow before trying it as an application.

It should work.

Untitled.png

you can see in the example, if all sheets (named them here client) are named the same it works without problems.

Cheers

Labels