Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input multiple files from same folder

QurrathAmeena
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,
I am trying to input multiple files from same folder using (*) having similar names with same format (input contents are having same rows)
I am able to pull out only two of them , not sure what is the problem ?

Could anyone please help?
Thanks in advance !

7 REPLIES 7
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @QurrathAmeena,

The rest of the files is in a different format. 

Please input one of them manually and check if the names of the column/data types are exactly the same.

I think this will be quite easy to check and will allow you to understand where is the problem.

QurrathAmeena
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @Emil_Kos .
I checked all the excel files have same structure but seems like it pulls out just two out of ten files , could there be any other  problem?

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

Hi @QurrathAmeena ,

Since you are using Input tool and wildcard (*), please check for filenames that you want to input.

Maybe the filenames are not getting mapped.

Regards,

Shreyansh Rathod

shreyanshrathod
11 - Bolide

@QurrathAmeena ,

Also check the file formats.

E.g if two of those files are '.xlsx' and rest of them are '.xls'

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @QurrathAmeena 

The files may "look" like they have the same structure, but to use the wild card input, the files have to "be" the same structure.

Try this: Add a Input tool for one of the files that works and another Input tool for a file that doesn't.  Follow each of these with a Field Info tool which will extract the names and types of the fields in the files.  Join the output of the 2 Field Info tools on Name and look for any values in the R or L outputs of the Join tool.  These will be the fields that cause differences.  

These differences can come from many sources. 

- Fields can have leading or trailing spaces. 

- The file may have had data in columns beyond the ones with headers, but data was erased without erasing the extra columns

Dan

QurrathAmeena
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @danilang 
I could figure out what the underlying problem was.
There were fields which were not of same data types and hence wild card wasn't working. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @QurrathAmeena ,

I've built a couple of tools to do exactly this.

I've attached them and an example workflow.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Labels