Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input from xlsx file on a network drive

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Hi,

Fairly new to Alteryx and running into the below issue.

I have a workflow that saves off an xlsx daily with a new date in the filename to a shared network drive.

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx|||ReportSheetName

After this xlsx file is edited by the end-user I need to bring it in the same file with the same filename the next day to compare with current days data and do some edits.  

Since the filename changes daily I have another workflow that creates and formats the date to the correct filename.  The issue is, I am getting an “Error: Download (6): Error transferring data: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL” when I try to bring in the file.  If I copy the filename that Alteryx creates and paste it into a folder’s address bar the file will open in Excel.

clipboard_image_0.png

In the 3rd Formula, I am using the below for the filename to try and download:

[directory] = \\network.drive\data\sub\directory\

[directory] + "FILE NAME - " + [dateTimeFormat] + ".xlsx"

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx

I've also tried it with the workbook page in the filename:

[directory] + "FILE NAME - " + [dateTimeFormat] + ".xlsx|||ReportSheetName"

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx|||ReportSheetName

It seems like I'm missing something that is probably very easy to resolve.  

TIA,

Rick

3 REPLIES 3
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @BonusCup .

You can use dynamic input  instead of  download tool  if you are trying to read the file .

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As @benakesh said, the file input tools will recognize a network file name just like any other file name. You can reference it with \\Volume_Name or by drive letter if you've mapped the drive.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@benakesh thank you.  this is exactly what I needed.  And as I thought, it was an easy solution.

Thanks again!

Labels