Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input from xlsx file on a network drive

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Hi,

Fairly new to Alteryx and running into the below issue.

I have a workflow that saves off an xlsx daily with a new date in the filename to a shared network drive.

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx|||ReportSheetName

After this xlsx file is edited by the end-user I need to bring it in the same file with the same filename the next day to compare with current days data and do some edits.  

Since the filename changes daily I have another workflow that creates and formats the date to the correct filename.  The issue is, I am getting an “Error: Download (6): Error transferring data: URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL” when I try to bring in the file.  If I copy the filename that Alteryx creates and paste it into a folder’s address bar the file will open in Excel.

clipboard_image_0.png

In the 3rd Formula, I am using the below for the filename to try and download:

[directory] = \\network.drive\data\sub\directory\

[directory] + "FILE NAME - " + [dateTimeFormat] + ".xlsx"

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx

I've also tried it with the workbook page in the filename:

[directory] + "FILE NAME - " + [dateTimeFormat] + ".xlsx|||ReportSheetName"

\\network.drive\data\sub\directory\FILE NAME - 10-16-19.xlsx|||ReportSheetName

It seems like I'm missing something that is probably very easy to resolve.  

TIA,

Rick

3 REPLIES 3
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @BonusCup .

You can use dynamic input  instead of  download tool  if you are trying to read the file .

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As @benakesh said, the file input tools will recognize a network file name just like any other file name. You can reference it with \\Volume_Name or by drive letter if you've mapped the drive.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@benakesh thank you.  this is exactly what I needed.  And as I thought, it was an easy solution.

Thanks again!

Labels