Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input from Excel file on Network Drive - Workflow Hangs

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Hi,

The newer versions of Alteryx allows users to input data from an Excel file while it is open which is fantastic. 

The issue I have is that if an XLSX file in a network drive is open, my workflows just hangs. No error messages or anything, it just hangs. The entire workflow just comes to a standstill and the other parts of the workflow fail to run. The workflow keeps ‘running’ until I stop it manually. 

This is really problematic for my scheduled runs, especially where I have several users opening and closing files on the network drive. 

if the data input can’t be done then I’d at least want an error to be returned and for the workflow to continue. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but Excel is really only designed for a single user situation and was never designed for a multi-user read/write situation at all.  

Is there a chance you could change the XLSZ to be a Google Sheet ? or (better still) a database (with appropriate data entry form as well) to help in this situation ?
If not, maybe try copying the file as the first step and if the copy is successful then use that in the workflow and delete the copy at the end.

ALT_2358
9 - Comet

Yeah it needs to be Excel files because they're really complex working papers and Google Sheets isn't approved for use at my company. 

I really like your idea of copying the files - that didn't cross my mind. I'll give that a go using a batch script - thanks!

Labels