Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input data tool reading two different types in the same column

jpscoralick
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone!

Using the date input tool as the first step in my workflow, I have a column containing two possible data formats, for example: 

- 39846545 (only numbers)
- TRS364788 (three char followed by numbers)

Since the raw numbers appear first, data input tool sets the column type as Double.
Is there a way to always force the tool to read the column as String?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jpscoralick 

A select tool will allow you force the String data type.

What data source are you using to read in the data?

jpscoralick
8 - Asteroid

Hi, @Kakuffo!

My input in a Excel .xlsx file. I tried using the Select Tool but it didn't work, because when the content is a mix of String and Numbers, as TRS349798, I'm getting Null in these lines.

Btw, if I change the data type of first cell of the column (e.g. 3879115)  in Excel to "Text", Alteryx is able to read all the column as String.

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Does the excel file include headers in the first row? Try importing with "First row contains data" option set. It will see the header first and make it string type, then a dynamic rename can use the first row to assign the correct headers.

SPetrie_0-1660234260090.png

jpscoralick
8 - Asteroid

Hi, @SPetrie!

Your solution worked for me. 

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Labels