Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input a changing file that has same path & same name

chase_maxwell
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I am new to Alteryx and haven't been able to find the solution on any forums (I believe its simple!)

I have a folder on a share drive that contains source files such as "DRL NEW" and several other excel files. Every quarter these excel files are replaced with updated versions with the same exact name. Is there a way I can have Alteryx search for the name of the file rather than the exact file itself? This then causes error when removed and replaced. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Chase

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Try the Directory tool, then the Filter tool - for the file name you're looking for, then the Count tool.

chase_maxwell
6 - Meteoroid

I can get the directory to notice that I have the file, and the filter tool to get the correct version. However where does the count tool come into play?

I have a source document labeled "DRL NEW.xlsx" and every quarter i will replace it with the same file name but containing different internal data with the same fields. How can I get Alteryx to recognize this without having to manually update it. 

If I simply use the input data tool, I would have to go through hundreds of instances every quarter for the different workflows I am building to change the source document. I am hoping Alteryx can find a different excel file that is updated quarterly with the same name in the same place without me having to manually go in and click it. 

Does my question make sense?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I thought you only wanted to search for the name of the file. So the Count tool would be > 0 if the file exists.

If you want to use the file in your data stream, after the Filter tool you would use the Dynamic Input tool.

chase_maxwell
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Chris,

I figured it would have to do with the Dynamic Input tool, however I cant seem to figure out how to make it work. What exact settings would I need to have for Alteryx to search for file names and pull that file as an input?

For example:

Every quarter I would like Alteryx to search down the path "C:\Users\Desktop\Projects\Alteryx" for a file named "DRL" and a file named "XREP".

I want this file to be able to change every quarter but for file name and file path to remain the same. What steps can i take in the Dynamic Input tool to accomplish this?

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

what do you mean by this statement:

I want this file to be able to change every quarter but for file name and file path to remain the same

the file name and path will stay the same, but the data inside the file will change?

EDIT: I just re-read your last post, so I understand the file name and path will stay the same, but the data inside the file will change.

Going back to your original post, what does this mean:

If I simply use the input data tool, I would have to go through hundreds of instances every quarter for the different workflows I am building to change the source document

If your path and file names remain the same, what does "change the source document" mean?

It might be easier if you provide an example list of Excel file names and sheet names.

chase_maxwell
6 - Meteoroid

Exactly. Every quarter we pull a new file from a system that will have the same file name and same fields, but contain different data. I will then take the previous "DRL" file and replace it with a new "DRL" file. 

I hope this clarifies. Thank you for your help!

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I guess I won't be able to help here.  I don't understand this part:

I will then take the previous "DRL" file and replace it with a new "DRL" file. 

Will you overlay the previous DRL file?  Will you have a DRL_NEW file?  

If you overwrite a file with the same name and path, but the data inside the file is different, but the field names inside the file are the same, you shouldn't need to change anything with your workflow.  The workflow would read the new data without any changes to the workflow.

chase_maxwell
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your help Chris! 

I finally realized that the problem was coming from a slightly different sheet name. I was first attempting to use a directory into a dynamic input, but you helped me realize all I needed was the basic input tool. You have saved me a ton of time! 

Thanks again,

Chase

Labels