Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Tool Truncating data (ODBC SQL Connection to Teradata DB)

phoebe_kelley
9 - Comet

Hi, I am seeing some of my data being truncated by the input tool. I don't see an option in the tool to change field length for ODBC connections. I am connecting directly to our Teradata DB using SQL. When I pull the same data in Teradata, the data is not truncated.

For example, I have a text field with the data: "**PORK, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCE (WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, SALT), SALT, CHILI PEPPER, SRIRACHA SEASONING [SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI), GARLIC POWDER, CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, SEA SALT, SUGAR, VINEGAR, ONION POWDER), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF CHILI POWDER, SPICES.**"

but on input to Alteryx, it truncates the last bit off: "**PORK, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, GLUTEN FREE SOY SAUCE (WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, SALT), SALT, CHILI PEPPER, SRIRACHA SEASONING [SPICES (INCLUDING CHILI), GARLIC POWDER, CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, SEA SALT, SUGAR, VINEGAR, ONION POWDER), CONTAINS 2% OR LES..."

Here is my input tool config if that helps:

phoebe_kelley_0-1581366892888.png

the SQL is not casting or transforming the field in any way, it should just pull it as-is. Any ideas?

thanks,

Phoebe

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @phoebe_kelley ,

Are you checking the data using a browse tool? If not, please check that out.

If that is not the problem, you could try to insert in the query the string size as well.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It looks like Alteryx has In-DB support for Teradata. Have you tried using the In-Database tools to see if you get the same result? Use the Connect In-DB tool to query the table and Data Stream Out tool to stream the data to non In-DB tools. 

phoebe_kelley
9 - Comet

Well, I thought I was looking at the browse tool! But I guess I wasn't. After rechecking the browse it looks like everything is in order. Thanks!

Labels