Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input Tool Truncating Fields to <256 Characters for Database Connection

vujennyfer
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to use the input tool to connect to a SQL database. It has been truncating fields to <256 characters. I have tried: 

1.) To use a SELECT tool to change the data types to 'WString' and increase the size to 10,000. This did not work. 

2.) Looked at the INPUT tool for an option of increasing character length/limit when reading in the data..but I do not an option for this. 

3.) I am trying to do this with the regular INPUT tool, but also wondering if anyone knows if this can be accomplished with the 'In-Database' INPUT tool as well. 

vujennyfer_0-1621878746464.png

Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
randreag
11 - Bolide

hi @vujennyfer 

I have worked with big text in sql and I didn't have problems, but I always use to read the oldb driver.

How long is your text field?

Where are you veryfing the lenght of the field loaded?

vujennyfer
8 - Asteroid

Hi @randreag , thanks for the reply. 

1.) I'm using PostgresSQL ODBC. Unicode x64 Driver. Do you think this is the issue? I have tried the ANSI x64 driver in the past and ran into the error " Input Data (54) Error SQLExecute: ERROR: character with byte sequence 0xe2 0x80 0x8b in encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in encoding "WIN1252";¶Error while executing the query"

2.) The field is not very long. It is a description field with max character length of 1,996. 

3.) For verifying length of field, I'm looking in SQL and seeing the full field description but when I use the INPUT and BROWSE tool in Alteryx, I see the field has been truncated from the BROWSE view. 

vujennyfer_0-1621887479491.png

vujennyfer_1-1621887696910.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@vujennyfer 

In the browse tool, it may give you a red arrow and say it was truncated for display purposes only, but if you actually export it or double click into it you should see the full text. The important thing is if you are getting any workflow warnings that indicate data is being truncated. 

Verakso
11 - Bolide

I am having the same issue, that's why I ended up here.

I think this is due to the configuration of the PostgresSQL ODBC driver

2024-01-26 13_40_35-AlteryxServer ‎- Fjernskrivebord.png

Hower, changing these settings did not work for me 😥
But perhaps it can help you further.

Br ()

Thomas

alteryx_user259
5 - Atom

 Hi All,

I have the same issue - my columns coming from Azure Databricks are being truncated to 255 characters. Changing this setting from 255 to 10000 did not resolve the issue.

Original size in Databricks is over 2k characters, but Alteryx defaults to 255. When I read from .csv I am able to read fields with values longer than 255, it's just ODBC that doesn't work

This article Defect GCSE-687: Data Returned by Databricks Query on Long Text Fields Truncates to 254 Characters (... suggests driver 2.6.23 I have a newer driver version 2.6.29.1049 (64 bit) however the issue persist

Alteryx simba spark settings.JPG

Any ideas?

Thanks

Labels