Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Tool - Question on errors I receive with Workflow connected to Access Database

DanielG
12 - Quasar

Hi,

I built a workflow a few years back which extracts the data from an Access table and utilizes it within Alteryx to combine with additional information.

It obviously worked fine when I built it.  I loaded it to the Prod server years ago and it has run successfully every week ever since.

Today, I went into the workflow to review something about the process that takes place and I immediately get error when I open the tool.  (See Existing Input Error.png)

I clicked into the Configuration window and hit the "..." button to the right of "3. Table or Query" to see what was available.  The pop-up window shows the table name in SQL Editor button.  When I select the Tables button, it says "Get Table List Error: Error Opening connect string: Unknown error".  Beneath that box it says "Table List is Cached.  Last Refresh 06/09/2014 at 11:00AM.  Only problem here is that the Access Database was built 3 years later and the workflow was built in 2018. (See Weird Last Cache Date.png)

I also tried the refresh button.  That doesnt work. 

I tried deleting and rebuilding the input tool and I get a pop-up saying "Connection Error: External component has thrown an exception" (See Input Connection Error.png)

I am stumped.  It works on the Server AND i can also open the Access database and move around in it no problem.  Not sure why Alteryx can no longer connect to it.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My only guess is that maybe your Jet drivers are outdated / out of whack? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-Microsoft-Access-re... 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
DanielG
12 - Quasar

Something was out of whack.  I had rebooted, etc. yesterday with no success.  Overnight I did a full shut down and when I logged in this morning, I was able to run the workflow and connect the data. 

Its like that Cousin Eddie said in Christmas Vacation:  "She falls down a well, her eyes go cross. She gets kicked by a mule. They go back. I don’t know"

Just more proof that I need to make a push away from Access Database usage in our area.  Sadly, I was the one that created this monster years ago and now I am paying the price.  🙂

@joshuaburkhow Thanks for the additional detail in your reply as well.  I am going to hold that in my back pocket as I am sure to run into more Access database issues in the future.  Have a great day.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Glad that helped! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

For other users that might be seeing this error message, there are a few approaches that have been helpful to other users

• When using Access or Excel you might find that you need to install the Microsoft Access Database Engine Redistributable 2010 32-bit.
  • Reinstall software (You might want to do a complete uninstall first, but back up the Alteryx directories or just rename them rather than deleting them if you have been working in Alteryx for a while.)
  • Test to see whether you observe the same issue when you disable your AntiVirus software.
Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Labels