Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Tool - Macro unable to update encrypted password

farrelj3
5 - Atom

We have a workflow that calls a macro - and passes in the connect string and password as parameters to be used by an input tool.  The input tool connects to a redshift database.

The macro action tool is configured to replace the connection string using "Update Raw XML with Formula" option. The formula does a replace of our connection to dev -with the connection that was passed in.

The password is the encrypted password that we get from the input tool using the XML view and the <passwords> field.  The action tool does an "Update Value (Default)".

This was working perfectly for us in a 2020 version of alteryx, but since upgrading the server and the designer to 2021.4 the password is NOT getting replaced.  The connect string is getting replaced.  This fails now on both designer and server.

Did something change about how the password is encrypted and stored?  Or did rules change about how macros can update passwords?

Thank you for any insight. 

Jim

5 REPLIES 5
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

My guess is that this is due to intentional Security related changes since 2020. I am asking around to see if we can confirm that. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
farrelj3
5 - Atom

Hi any word on this issue?  thanks.

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

One of my colleagues is reaching out to you directly for more information. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
farrelj3
5 - Atom

We replace connection strings using the action tool.  The connection is replaced with a “Update Raw XML with Formula” - Replace function.  The password is replaced with an “Update Value (Default)”.

farrelj3_0-1659037551073.png

We pass into the macro a connection string and the encrypted password.  This code is allow us to switch between server based on which control is active.

farrelj3_1-1659037551242.png

Inside of the macro, we use the Action Tool to replace the connection string.  This WAS NOT working if we highlighted the “input Data (1)” line.  That seems to be the root of the problem.  If we highlight the “File – value” the replacements occur as expected.

This worked fine under version 2020.3 – it broke when we upgraded to 2021.4.

Our fix – is going into version 2020.3 – and update the highlighted row to all be the “File – value” row.

farrelj3_2-1659037551592.png

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I am looking for similar solution - i just need to replace the password in dynamic input tool - could you please ping me

Labels