Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Multiple .CSV with different rows and column headers

R_L
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Newbie here.

I have a multiple data file that are in a CSV format within the same directory folder.  

They are quite similar, but involve columns and sometimes different row headers.

Example:

CSV 1: FileName: FruitStore_Canada.csv

FruitsStore AStore BStore CStore D
ApplesYesYesYesNo
OrangesYesNoNoYes
BananaNoYesYesNo
PearNoNoNoN/A
GrapesNoNoYesN/A

CSV2 FileName: Fruit Store_USA.csv

FruitsStore EStore FStore GStore HStore I
ApplesYesNoNoYesYes
OrangesN/AYesYesYesNo
PearYesNoNoYesYes
GrapesN/AYesN/AYesN/A

I am interested in combining them into one table. However, as they are a different schema - I've having trouble getting it to work. I've tried using a Batch Macro, however, it only "unions" and drops the first header row from the second CSV.

In the example CSV above, I know that there will definitely be different stores in the Column Headers. In-terms of the Row Headers, there will be some identical Fruits, but there may also be missing or extra Fruits as I add in more additional CSV as input in the future.

Ideally, I would like something like the below:

FruitsStore AStore BStore CStore DStore EStore FStore GStore HStore I
ApplesYesYesYesNoYesNoNoYesYes
OrangesYesNoNoYesN/AYesYesYesNo
BananaNoYesYesNo[Null][Null][Null][Null][Null]
PearNoNoNoN/AYesNoNoYesYes
GrapesNoNoYesN/AN/AYesN/AYesN/A

Any help appreciated! I think it's something I have to change in the batch macro, but I'm not too sure. Perhaps nested batch macros?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So does your batch macro present you with something like this?

fruits.png

In that case you can use a transpose and crosstab tool to convert it to this:

fruits2.png

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @R_L 

The issue you reported building your batch macro is not a real problem. It's just because you probably did not connect your result with a browse tool (that's why only the first header row was showing up).

Anyways, I tried to simplify the batch macro and overcomplicated a little bit the workflow itself, but here's the solution that I thought.

WF appended.

CSVmultipleschemas.PNG

Cheers,

Labels