Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input List of Tables from ODBC Database

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hello Community! When you connect to an ODBC database with the Input Data tool, you can see all the tables in that database. Is there a way to input this table list as data into Alteryx (1 row per table)? I know Alteryx cache's the list when you are choosing a table (or specifying a query). Does anyone know where the list is cached? Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @DultonM

Have you tried querying the sys.tables table? That'll give you the whole list, directly from the DB...

tables.table.PNG

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @Aguisande,

Your solution worked for one of the ODBC databases I am interested in connecting to! Unfortunately, I do not have access to the sys.tables table in another ODBC. It's possible that I'm being restricted from seeing that by my IT team. That is why i am particularly interested in where Alteryx caches the table list.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@DultonM The cache is stored here in text files:

C:\Users\<<YOUR ID>>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\VQBCache

I don't quite know where it stores the data name since the files in that folder are all long GUID.

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Thanks All for your answers! I'll use the Sys.Tables when available but search the AppData\Roaming\Alteryx folder when that isn't available. The GUID naming convention in the folder is a bit hard to work with but I verified that if you are using Data Connections to access your databases, Alteryx will use the same GUID when writing/refreshing the table list. Once you find the right GUID.txt file, you shouldn't have to go searching for it again.

jdhanapa
5 - Atom

Can you share the query you used?

Labels