community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
New Data Science Blog

Check out the latest post: All Models Are Wrong

READ MORE
Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between pm 4- 6pm MT, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!
SOLVED

Input Data Tool: Sharing & distributing DB Connections

Highlighted
Aurora
Aurora

Hi all,

there was a post by @TonyM recently that talked about aliases 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Database-Connections-Creating-an-alias-and-t...

With Alteryx 11, this has been changed to be Database Connections.

Question for the community is whether there's any learning material or training (yes, I'm looking at you @JoeM ) on how to:

- Share a DB connection among team-mates (both the regular kind and the in-DB kind) so that we all use the same connection to the DB (to support each other during vacations etc)

- how to then publish this connection with the canvas to the gallery server (do we need to do anything)?   Are there variants based on SQL Native vs. OleDB vs. ODBC DSN and are there variants across regular full-fat DB connections vs. In-DB connections?

- And then as a central administrator, how do I create a DB connection centrally, and push this down to my user base to keep central control of a shared data asset (e.g. give people read-access without exposing the password etc).

cc: @MPistone @ydmuley @MarvinPinto

Apologies if this is already well covered somewhere - please feel free to direct me to the appropriate spot.

Cheers

Sean

Aurora
Aurora
Thank you Andrew, this is very helpful and gives me some good weekend reading.
Labels