Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Data Error: "File length exceeds length allowed by manual editor"

aveitengruber
5 - Atom

I am trying to add a .txt file to my workflow using the "Input Data" icon. After I browse/select my file and select my "Resolve file type" settings, i receive the following error: "File length exceeds length allowed by manual editor. For est results browse to the description file (.flat) and specify the data file (.asc) in Option #5 of Input configuration". I have done this a number of times before and have never received this error until now.

Any help with understanding what this error means and how to navigate a solution would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @aveitengruber

I am struggling to recreate this error locally however, I often find reading txt. files in as a .csv and reading it in as none delimeted (\0) with an increased field length reads the file without errors. 

After reading the file in I use the text to columns tool to parse this out within the workflow.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

aveitengruber
5 - Atom

Thank you for your help, JordanB. I was able to find a work-around that gets me home. I can browse/select a smaller .txt file and set my "Resolve File Type" settings. After doing that, I can go and replace the smaller .txt file with the correct .txt file (the larger one that was creating the error). When I browse and select the correct file as the replacement, the same error pops up, but if I click "ok" the underlying file changes to the correct .txt file anyway.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Labels