Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inner join in SQL Editor

Anshita
8 - Asteroid

Hi Folks,

I am trying to extract data using custom SQL Query. I am trying to inner join two tables. While the query itself is not throwing any error, the number of records I am fetching using SQL Query is way greater than when I am trying to do the same operation using Alteryx Join tool. I am taking the output from the Inner join in the Join Tool.

Can anyone help me in understanding why this query is not giving the expected result. The output should have only 45 records but using query in SQL Editor I am getting some 145 Records.

select T.ItemType,
B.Item,
from T
inner join B on T.PROJEKT_Counter = B.Zaehler

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Anshita 

1. Does any of these columns have null value?

2. Are you using join tool or in-db join tool?

3. Can share a snapshot of your join tool configuration?

Anshita
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05 ,

1. There are definitely NULL values present. Any Idea on how to eliminate them. I tried with a NOT NULL Query but it seems not to be working. It is giving me an error. 

3. Not able to share the screenshot due to security reasons. I am joining on a single field from the left and right inputs and taking the output directly from the J output anchor without using union. 

Thanks in advance!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Anshita 

You can use filter before joining to remove nulls

Anshita
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05,

Thanks but really trying to combine all operations in a single query from the input tool directly! for now NOT NULL seems to be not working for me. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Anshita 

Not null should work can you show me the query. There is a possibility that it can also be a blank and not null.

Labels