Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inner Join not Displaying Results

dmuseve
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am having an issue whereby my inner join is not displaying any results of the join. When I click on the left or right join fall out items, they are exactly what I expected to not be joined from the input files. None of the items that I expected to be joined are being displayed in the left,right, or inner join. They are not displayed anywhere. I checked to make sure that my data types are the same for the field that is the same in both data sets. I am not sure what else I am missing. I have attached screenshots of the what is being displayed, join configuration, and workflow. The only items not displaying on the workflow are the input files, but the extent of the workflow so far. 

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@dmuseve Do any of your input streams have null or empty fields? Without knowing the data, it appears to me that both sides have a null or empty set in one of more of the fields you're joining on which is causing a many to many result of blank rows.

If you've already filtered out the nulls and empties, then add a Browse and try looking at the inner join from that set.  

When you click on the tool to view the results you're only able to see a select preview based on the free memory and user settings.  Adding a Browse will show you all of the results and the filled in fields may just be below the rows which fit into the preview.

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hello @dmuseve

Not that you should need to for previewing, but have you tried attaching a Browse tool to the Inner Join node?

Could it be a lack of available RAM for storing the preview results?

dmuseve
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you! That helped. I re-did my data cleanse to help with the null fields, that and the browser tool helped. 

hannahhanigan
5 - Atom

Hello - I'm having a similar issue, where I'm not getting any data back from my inner join. I have two files - one with a concatenate already in it and the other with a concatenate that I created using a formula. These are the two unique identifiers that I'm using to do the join, but it does not populate anything back. See images below:

image.png

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@hannahhanigan When you click on the top option in the results window (looks like three bars), what does it say?  This should summarize how many rows joined and didn't join.

If it says that none joined go back to your data and examine closely.
With strings you commonly miss white spaces, so I always perform a trim() on any string that will be used in a join.

Labels