Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Initiate the variable to zero for a new iteration

simpleminded
7 - Meteor

I have designed a workflow in Alteryx which is supposed to take as input an excel file, then run a series of formulas, filters, sorts and regular expressions at the end of which in order to check a condition I use the summarize tool to count a value in a column and if that value is greater than a threshold then a decision is made. I run the same workflow for 100 files and overwrite the output on the same hundred files. My problem is when I run this workflow by using *.xlsx for those 100 files what happens is the count keeping adding up for each file which leads to an error in the decision. For example when the output is written in the first file the count is 7 which is correct. But when the output is written for the second file the count becomes 14. This is wrong. The real count for the second file is 7 but since this is the second file the count column did not start with zero it started with 7. And the count keep adding up for the subsequent files. The workflow runs fine for one file at a time but when I run it on multiple files it adds up. 

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks a lot!

2 REPLIES 2
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Maybe use the 'Output File Name as Field' option in the input tool and count / filter / summarize / whatever fits your needs based on the file name. So that way you can see how many records came from each file.

simpleminded
7 - Meteor

Thank you Michael. The group by File Name option in the summarize tool worked wonderfully.

Labels