Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inherit User Constants Values

terry10
11 - Bolide

I had a workflow with several separate workstreams in it. The workstreams make use of user constants.

To simplify the parent workflow, we want to convert each of the workstreams into a standard macro.

When a user constant value is updated in the parent workflow, the new embedded macros should use the updated value. 

Is there any way to have an embedded macro inherit a user constant from a parent workflow without passing that value through an input anchor?

1 REPLY 1
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@terry10 

I think it may not work as you wanted.

One workaround is to create an input file containing your constant then read in in the main flow and your macros.
It is not pretty, I know.

Constants are global variables for a workflow that are defined on the Workflow tab in the Workflow Configuration window. Constants make it possible to change a value in a single location and have that change apply to the rest of the workflow

Labels