Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inexplicable Rounding from In-DB Tools

eschaefer
5 - Atom

I've been pulling data using the in-db tools for a while without any issues and last night I started experiencing some strange rounding from them, and it still seems to be happening today. All of my numeric fields are being automatically rounded to the nearest whole number. There's nothing in my workflow instructing it to round my data.

I added some browse in-db tools through the workflow to find out where this rounding was happening. It goes through several left outer joins without issue as I pull in more data from various dimension tables. Then after the 4th left outer join, all of my amounts are rounded to the nearest whole number.

In case it matters, I'm pulling from a Presto database.

3 REPLIES 3
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Is the rounding happening in the DB or in the Browse tool?
In other words, if you write that data out to a new table in-db and then use a different tool to query it, is it still rounded?

eschaefer
5 - Atom

I'm not sure if I have write access to the DB. I wouldn't want to test that without knowing how to clean up after myself.

eschaefer
5 - Atom

This is still sort an irritating problem for me. A working solution I found is to use fewer in-db tools and write a lot of SQL in the initial Connect in-DB tool. On the plus side, my workflow seems to run faster this way. However, not everyone on my team knows SQL, so it makes it harder for others to follow what's happening.

Labels