Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Index Match for specific ranges of data (spreading value across rows)

PhilX
5 - Atom

Dear all,

I am quite new to Alteryx but have already found some great helpful posts in this community. 

Now, I hope to find some help myself. At the moment, I have some trouble with cleaning up a data set and hope that you are able to help me. Any advice is appreciated. 

From my initial data set I created a new column (E) called Name, which has a certain input if in column D it says "ENT_NAM" and then takes the value from the same row in column A for column E. This was obviously quite easy to do. 

However, the next step is to populate the whole column E with these names based on the numbers in column B. Each "record" varies in number of rows, however, each row is clearly connected to a record. All 1s are one record and all 1.1s are one record etc. 

What I would like is a combination of tools or a formula to populate column E based on column B, something like: 

For all numbers in column B that are equal look for the value in column E in the range of numbers and take this value across all rows OR 

For all numbers in column B that are equal, look for ENT_NAM in column D, take the value from column A in the same row as ENT_NAM and fill all rows in column E that have the same number in column B with said value. 

I have tried several options I have found in the community, including the formula, multi-row formula tool and different options with join, fuzzy match etc. 

PhilX_0-1575475742189.png

I added a Screenshot of how I would like it to look 

PhilX_1-1575475872047.png

I added a small part of my dataset below. 

If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks already. 

3 REPLIES 3
JulioMO
9 - Comet

HI @PhilX ,

Attached you will find a workflow that I think gets the job done! 

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards!

PhilX
5 - Atom

Thanks for the quick help! This looks very promising! 

I will double check tomorrow with the larger dataset. But huge thanks already.

JulioMO
9 - Comet

Sure, no problem. Hope this helps! 

Labels