Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Index Match and Vlookup

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to use the "join" tool to do a vlookup/Index match from input 1 (HR File) and input 2 (Requester File).

Under the join tool, for the Left option (HR File) I put "Network ID" and then for the Right option (Requester File) I put "Network ID". I tried to then run the Join function to pull some fields/columns from the HR file by matching the Network ID but i did not get any matching columns in the Join table. 

Can someone guide me as how do I do a v lookup/Index Match and create an additional column as my desired output ? See screenshot attached.Screenshot of Join.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mustufa2019 

The screenshot suggests that there are no matches between the two files on Network ID.

What data type is the ID - numeric or string? If string, make sure that the ID uses the same case in both files as the Jointool performs a case sensitive match. Also, check for any data quality issues such as leading or trailing white spaces which could also cause unmatched records.

JulioMO
9 - Comet

Hi @mustufa2019 , 

Could you share a sample of your input files, so we can better help you? As @MichalM mentioned, there are a bunch of things that could be the source of the error. 

Regards!

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

Hi Julio,

I attached sample of the data in below table:

Overall, this is the right way to perform the comparison right? Thank you for looking into this!

Table HR File

Colleague's First and Last NameNetwork IDCorporate TitleFunctional TitleDepartmentLocation
Mustufa BharoochaMBharoochaAssistant Vice PresidentAuditor IIAudit Dept/2CalCNB @ 2Cal

Table Requester File

Network ID

Mbharoocha

JBRETADO
SANGUKA
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@mustufa2019 

If you look at the Network ID you will notice the difference in case MBharoocha vs Mbharoocha. If you use the Data Cleansing tool after each of the inputs and unify the NetworkID case (use Titlecase for example), this should fix the issue.

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michal,

I noticed one of the input file has the network ID in all caps. As you mentioned, that seems to be the reason behind no match.

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michal,

I cleansed the data and then tried to rerun the join. Please see screenshots. This is my first time using Alteryx, so apologies if there is something basic i am missing hereScreenshot 4.PNGScreenshot 5.PNGScreenshot 2.PNGscreenshot 3.PNG

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

In the Join tool configuration you seem to be matching Corporate Title and Network ID. Both of these fields need to be set to Network ID.

corp-title.png

mustufa2019
8 - Asteroid

An oversight on my end... that sold the issue! thank you so much!

koheny01
7 - Meteor

Hello Michael,

I am having similar problem with V-LookUp. but I am using cleansing tool and it doesn't help me much.

I am still having few which they fall off the join.

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

Labels