Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Incredibly slow SQL Inputs in last week

Highlighted
5 - Atom

For some reason my SQL inputs have become incredibly slow to run since 2 June

I'm connecting via ODBC Driver 17 and MS SQL Server - we don't seem to have changed anything internally but for some reason as an example one of my inputs that previously ran within a minute now takes potentially up to an hour to run - and crucially the SQL runs in SSMS in 3 seconds (it is only 30k row and isn't particularly complex code)

In fact it failed a few minutes ago with the attached error message...SQLExtendedFetch...A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to response...

If anyone can provided any suggestions that would be hugely appreciated.  Thanks, Dave

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @DaveD 

Do you happen to be working from home and connected via VPN? Network traffic issues could be the culprit here. 

Another note - You may also want to try an OLEDB connection. Sometimes they can be faster than their ODBC counterparts and it would be worth testing to see if this helps with the speed at all. 

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hi Brandon

Thanks for your message.  It seems the culprit was a SQL view - so I've switched across to the original table and now it seems to work fine.  Very strange but I've got a fix anyway.  And thanks for the note on OLEDB, I'll bear that in mind

Dave

Labels