Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Andy Uttley, Alteryx ACE, makes music with Alteryx | Math + Music

Increasing the max no. of records output through the Google Analytics connector

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryxees

I'am using the v7 of the google analytics connector and it works great.

I know the google api has a limit og 10k records per request, and the Alteryx GA connector has a set iteration limit at 9999, which totals 1M records.

The thing is, that i do not want to compromise my current metrics/dimensions selections - and that is nearly generating 800k records a day.

Which means that I have to run the workflow once a day (Scheduling is currently not an option).

Is there a way to increase the iteration number of the Alteryx GA connector?

Would it be possible to make some sort of macro, that iteration the Alteryx GA Connector workflow, and change the date inside the connector module to in order to fetch a weeks or a months worth of data? - if this is the case - could somebody point me in the right direction.

/Mads

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

Haven't tested this myself.  But you can open up the Google Analytics Macro, search for the iterative macro (Tool318).  Open that up and increase the max number of iterations within the interface designer.  It is currently set to '999999'.

Not sure if it will work but worth a go.

Thanks,

Nick

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

The 9999 iteration max is set because you can only send 10,000 requests per day, and according to the documentation there's no batching you can apply to decrease the amounts of requests:

p5cUUv

Am I correct in thinking that your suggestion was to actually try and pull aggregated data so that you can make less calls? If so, I don't believe that you can do it within the GA tool itself, as the calls themselves won't do any different aggregations, but you may be able to build your own connector if the API does allow for aggregations. Or maybe you can build in a different customer metric on the GA side and iterate through those?

Sophia Fraticelli
Premium Support Advisor
Alteryx, Inc.
Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it did not solved my problem. It is still limited to 1m records.

/Mads

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@MadsNicolai,

Is it possible that 2 analysts can exist in Google Analytics?  Each one could submit their ID into a single module and you could blend the results in a single workflow?  

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi SophiaF

It just seems weird if the limit is set at 10.000, as I can easily minutes after the workflow for one day is done, change the date, and it runs again. 

No the point was actually not to aggregate the data.

I will look into the possibility to create a custom connector. 

Thanks

Mads

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Mark

Interesting suggestion - perhaps, but then I'm a bit in over my head.

I'm positive that there is a way to pull more than 1m records through the api, as we have an old php service that can do that, however the it does not fetch the correct metric and dimension and also transforms it in the process.

I'll properly need to consult our developers in order to get the hang of it.

Thanks

Mads 

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

@MarqueeCrew

Actually, it seems that the quotas are account-wide. So it properly isn't a feasible direction.

/Mads

Labels