Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Incorrect Results Search

klonergan
8 - Asteroid
The new in-line search functionality within results views in 2019.2 is fantastic.  But it seems there is a bug and it doesn't search fixed decimal fields correctly.   For example, if I have a fixed decimal (18.0) field with the number 90008886668886666, searching for '9000' will return no results. Has anyone encountered this?  Thanks.  
2 REPLIES 2
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @klonergan 

I can confirm this happens on my machine as well. My assumption is it may be due to how the information is stored behind the scenes. Nonetheless I'll look to raise it internally for a fix in future releases.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

ROOT CAUSE:
That happens to numbers that are too big to fit in a double datatype.  Numbers get treated as double on the backend and those numbers are too large to fit into a double data type, so they can't be searched very well. If you search by a single digit they should come up.

Large Numbers are not handled correctly due to the limitations of the FixedDecimal type and it should be documented. I have submitted this feedback to the Alteryx Technical Writing Team.

WORKAROUND:
It's better practice to handle a big number like that as a String. Search works fine if the fields are converted to string.

Labels