Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Include Path of workflow as link in output data file

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

HI everyone,

First time poster here!

I was trying to find the answer in the community but couldn't find it so decided to post it here (hope this is the right place). I would like to add the path to my workflow as a new row in the output data file (an excel file). So when I run my workflow and the data is dropped in the output file, it also includes the file path to the workflow (so next time I look at the tab I can easily remember which workflow I used for this output). I hope this makes sense.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you,

V

7 REPLIES 7
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Welcome to the Alteryx Community @Verenala4 !

How about using a Union Tool (Auto Config by Position) to add your path to the bottom (or top) of your dataset before sending it to the output tool.

If you don't like the way it messes up your fomatting, you can use Table and Render tools to generate your output.

add row to data.png

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

Hi David!

Thank you for your fast reply! So I like that you unioned it together but I was wondering if there was an "automatic" way to get the workflow path with a tool? So instead of typing it in myself as a formula or a text input, a tool pulls it in for me (so in case the path changes when I change the location folder of the workflow or something like this, it would automatically update).

Is this possible with Alteryx?

Thank you,

V

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, you can use the constants shown below

workflow path.png

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Verenala4 

There is a way to make it dynamic. Within the formula tool, you'll find Constants. You can build a path to the location of the workflow plus the workflow name, like this:

image.pngimage.png

If you want it in a new row, just attach it to any text input tool, and create a new field. Then union together just as @DavidP suggests.

Cheers!

Esther

Cheers! 
Esther

Verenala4
8 - Asteroid

@DavidP  Thank you David for the reply! This is exactly what I was looking for!

@estherb47  Thanks Esther for the screenshots, that definitely helped too!

Great community!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@DavidP looks like you and I had the same thoughts at the same time!! :)

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I know @estherb47, how freaky!

Gald to help out @Verenala4 

Labels