Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. NOT USING UNION TOOL

MinaGO
7 - Meteor

I am aware there is a post already on this problem, however, my workflow contains no union tool as is discussed in the other post and still I get this problem. I have no idea how to get my workflow to run.Screenshot (100).png

8 REPLIES 8
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MinaGO

This error can also be because of a corrupted yxdb file. Can you troubleshoot this by reading in the yxdb in a seperate module?

If this runs you can then look to test the output tool in the same fashion.

Users have had success by recreating the workflow within another module as well.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

MinaGO
7 - Meteor

Sorry, I am a bit of a noob still especially when it comes to certain terminology. When you say 'reading the yxdb in a seperate module' do you mean can I open the file in a different workflow? If so then yes I was able to browse/output the file. If not can you elaborate please.

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MinaGO

Apologies. You interpreted that corrrectly. Can you continue to add the generalize tool and the output tool in that module and see if it still gives you the same error.

Best,

Jordan

MinaGO
7 - Meteor

Still got the same error when recreating it, even when we recreating the input file. But I think I realised why, the generalise was being used on a file that had already been processed by the tableau polygon macro so I think that may have been why it was giving an error (although the error doesn't really indicate this at all). You think so too?

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MinaGO

This could well have been the reason as usually the error indicates something has been corrupted. 

The error can sometimes also be memory related, but if you have the original file you should be able to test this out.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

MinaGO
7 - Meteor

Finding that it happens again before using a tableau polygon as well. Not sure if its that im trying to generalise a generalised polygon.

josephhalo
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have this problem occurring in my workflows and for me, it has something to do with the Message and Download tools.

Attached are two workflows which reliably recreate the problem for me. Run the Test-Pipe-Error.yxmd workflow - on my system, on average, every 3rd run yields the error.

InboundNamedPipe-Error.png

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Note:  I found another possible cause of this error.  I had a situation where a function tool created a VString with a huge maximum character count, and even though most of those characters were null, cutting down the size to something like 20K allowed my flow to go.  It was failing at join time until I truncated the maximum length.  

Labels